Sunday, September 14, 2008

First Day of School

I can't believe our girl is big enough for this, but Emily started school last week and is having such a great time. The first day was really fairly drama-free. Donald and I took the day off work so that we could take her and pick her up for the first time. We thought we were off to a rough start because Emily didn't like any of the outfits I had picked out and refused to eat anything until I fixed her a plate of pancakes and let her eat them in the truck on the way to the church. Things sort of smoothed out from there - maybe her blood sugar was low! At any rate, when we got to the church, I was amazed at the savvy of the teachers - they whisked her into the room and us back up to the sanctuary for a parents' meeting, virtually eliminating any "lurking parents" - which I probably would have been. I almost had to sit on my hands during the meeting to keep from going downstairs and snatching her back up! I didn't even get a picture of her before school - I had to wait until we picked her up. Fortunately, her teacher was also Abby's teacher, so we know how wonderful she is. Also, we know several of the children in her class already and two friends of ours are teaching in classrooms nearby. All in all, a great situation. She comes home each day with something she's painted or colored, singing a new song, talking about who her friend was today, and with shoes full of sand from the playground. I'm so glad that she's having a good time and making friends. Maybe I'll have pictures of a play date sometime soon!
Smiling a funny smile at her desk. She sits with Henry and Helena.

Posing at her peg with a treat bag from Ms. Tonya. She was so proud of this!


No comments: