Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Making Cupcakes

Emily and I had fun this weekend making cupcakes using a very cute kit that Linda and Angie gave her for her birthday. It has everything you need - from pan to mix - all in one set. We've established that I'm no pro at cooking real food but I am quite fond of baking. If it ever falls to me to have to provide meals for my family, we'll be living on cupcakes and cookies. Come to think of it, that doesn't sound like such a bad idea...
The shortening was a little difficult to dig out of the measuring spoon, but she tried REALLY hard! She also really wanted to crack the eggs but finally agreed to let me do it. She doesn't really like to get her hands sticky, anyway. Mommy's girl!

So proud that I finally agreed to do this with her. She has asked practically every day since Linda brought her gift over. Emily loves to get in the kitchen and mess around. When we cook dinner, she is usually standing by on her step stool and checking everything out. We usually cook pizza on Fridays (although we've gone to Partner's the last few weeks - her favorite) and she has a great time preparing the pizzas with us.

Gotta be really careful with this stuff! We've had some unfortunate incidents where most of the ingredients end up in the sink or on the floor. She did a great job this time! I love the way she has her tongue stuck out because she's concentrating so hard.

This is such a neat photo. You can see her reflection in the oven door glass. I think this is the first time that we've cooked together since we got the new stove and she kind of wanted to stand by and watch the cupcakes cook the whole time. We had to distract her with some Wow Wow Wubbzy while they baked.

Notice there are no pictures of us using the mixer? Donald had to take her in the bedroom at first because she hates the loud noise it makes. Then she decided that it wasn't so bad and agreed to stand by on her step stool so that she could watch- as long as he kept his hands over her ears! I convinced her that the mixer was a good thing - after all, baking just isn't the same unless you get to lick the beaters!

No comments: